Sunday, November 21, 2010

Asiad - Track Events - India Dominate

India dominate Asiad track events
 Preeja Sreedharan
India's Preeja Sreedharan won the 10,000m event

India gained three gold medals on the ninth day of competition at the 2010 Asian Games in China's Guangzhou city.

Long distance runner Preeja Sreedharan and steeple chaser Sudha Singh picked up golds on a day when India dominated track events.

And shooter Ronjan Sodhi picked up the first gold for India's shooting team by winning the men's double trap event.

With 33 medals, including five golds, India stood eighth in the medals table on Sunday.

Preeja Sreedharan clinched the gold in the women's 10,000m event with a burst of pace ahead of teammate Kavita Raut and Bahrain's Shitaya Habtegebrel.

Sreedharan came home in a time of 31:50:28.

"My coach said if I ran my own pace I would definitely get gold," she said. "I ran my own style and my own pace and I won. I didn't think about the other competitors."

Sudha Singh won the steeplechase holding off China's Jin Yuan and Japan's Minori Hayakari.

"I'm very excited because in the Commonwealth Games I came fifth and my burning desire was to improve my time and do better," she said.

India won six more medals on Sunday.

Kavita Raut picked up a silver in the women's 10,000m run, while star tennis player Sania Mirza and wrestlers, Ravinder Singh and Sunil Kumar Rana, claimed individual bronze medals.

Shooter Sodhi teamed up with Asher Noria and Vikram Bhatnagar to win the bronze in the double trap event, while the women's archery team comprising Dola Banerjee, Deepika Kumari and Rimil Buriuly also won a bronze.

Article Courtesy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11808363


Technorati Tags:

No comments: